Sunday, October 1, 2017

Heavenly Father Does Answer Prayers, But In His Own Timing

It has been over two years since I posted something on here, but that's because the last time I wrote I thought I was closing that chapter of my life. But Heavenly Father works in mysterious ways, doesn't He? Almost three years ago I came home from serving my LDS mission in South Carolina due to an injury I had while out there. After a lot of physical therapy, a lot of praying(a year and a half of praying), and a lot of faith I realized that it wasn't part of my plan to go back and finish my mission.....well at least not then. I will be going to finish my mission! How crazy is that? This completely shook me to my core. It has been almost three years and I finally closed that chapter and accepted how it all played out, but Heavenly Father has other plans. I am so excited for this opportunity to be a missionary again, and do things over and be a better, more devoted missionary. It is amazing how everything has fallen into place for this next step in life.
It is also unbelievable how the Lord starts to prepare you for things and to receive direction on where to go next.
About four months ago I received a blessing that said that in 30 days my foot would be healed and no longer cause me any problems in my life. I thought that was very interesting since it wasn't something I really focus on anymore and just have learned to live with it, but I had faith in that promise and went with it. About three months ago I had a prompting to not sign another contract for my apartment for the winter semester, but being who I am and wanting to not lose my spot I signed a contract. I kept feeling though that I wasn't going to be in Rexburg by then. Then two months later, driving back to Rexburg from visiting my family, I had a really difficult time going back. I just felt like it wasn't where I wanted to be or where I needed to be. While driving I had the thought pop into my head, "you need to go back on your mission." I quickly pushed it out of my mind not wanting to open that again. I kept thinking how I already got my answer for that and it was always no, it must just be me still not fully accepting that answer. Just a few minutes later it came back but with even more power behind it, "you should go back on your mission, you could start saving now and leave the first of the year..." For the next four hours driving I thought about this and I kept trying to figure out in my mind how I could make this happen and if I could even do this, or if I even wanted to go through it all again. Returning back to Rexburg I spent the next week praying and going to the temple trying to figure out if this was really what Heavenly Father wanted me to do next. I decided that I would meet with my bishop on Sunday and whatever he had to say about it I would accept as my answer. I figured he would have questions or tell me it probably wasn't possible, but to my surprise as I begin to tell him I wanted to go back out I started to cry and the spirit filled my soul. Bishop Young got a big smile on his face and said, "I think that is a great idea." No questions, nothing. In that moment I knew I was receiving an answer to a prayer that I had been waiting for for a long time. He told me he had done this before with one other missionary who had been home for about two years and said that they probably will send me to a new mission, but that he wasn't really sure. The next step was to get permission to open up my papers again and that took about two weeks. As soon as they were open I filled out all the paperwork in about an hour and the next day called for medical appointments. Amazingly I was able to get in for a dentist appointment that same day I called, and then a doctors appointment the next day. Everything went smoothly there. That following Sunday I had my interview with the Bishop and then the next Thursday interviewed with the Stake President. My application was submitted that Friday. Only about a week and a half after I started them. I also decided that I need to spend some time with my family before I leave so I had to sell my fall contract for housing and cancel my winter one. I hadn't even had the ad posted for 24 hours when I had received about three different offers on my contract. It seemed like everything was working out in my favor, but at this point there still was a possibility I could be told no. It wouldn't be a growing experience if there wasn't a time period of a trial of my faith. A month has gone by and no one had even looked at my papers, they hadn't moved at all. I begin to start questioning if I made the right choice and if I really wanted to do this again. I thought I was nervous the first time...I have been about ten times more nervous and terrified thinking about going back out. There are so many fears and worries about trying to do this all over again, and it is harder this time knowing exactly what I am signing up for. I started to give up on the idea of being able to go back out and honestly wasn't sure if I wanted to. Friday morning I received a call from my stake president asking when I wanted to enter the MTC and gave me some options. He then told me, "Alright Sister Rice how does reentering the MTC on January 3rd sound? You will be going back out to your mission in South Carolina."
And just like that all the doubt and questioning left. I am still not really sure why this has all happened the way it has and why I had to wait three years before returning, but I do know that I have faith in my Heavenly Father. If there is one thing I have learned in the last three years through all this is that there is a Heavenly Father who loves me and is so aware of my every need. I have learned to put all my trust in Him for He knows what is best for me. I am so grateful for an answer to my prayer and for the chance to serve and teach the gospel of Jesus Christ for a second time. I cannot wait for what this next year will look like. I know this is not going to be easy but nothing worth learning is easy.
Thank you for everyone who has supported me through this trial and journey and those who will continue to support me as I put my faith in the Lord and His next step for me.
One of my favorite scriptures is 1 Nephi 3:7 "And it came to pass that I, Nephi, said unto my father: I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them."

No comments:

Post a Comment